Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Project Wardrobe Clean Out

Hey Ya'll! 
I recently stumbled upon "Project 333". (Note its only an inspiration for this post!)
 If you are wondering what the heck that is, I'll be sure to elaborate further.. Read on.
Have you ever been to some instagram feeds and go "Wow, how does her instagram feed look so nice"
Take example: "@alice_gao" on instagram - my boyfriend was the one that found her.
psst.. she has great taste in furniture, my boyfriend and I drool over them. He spent the whole week stalking her and telling me about it. That's fine, I like her. Haha.
I was really inspired by her style and I started to read up on minimalist/modern timeless dressing and I chanced upon this "Project 333"
My next question for you (girls in particular) is, do you feel like you have too many clothes but nothing to wear? Oh I have loads of problems with that! I don't think I have a lot of clothes for a girl but I do have a full wardrobe and always find myself having nothing to wear.. and I have a few outfits, a lot of dresses especially, that I've never even worn before!
Project 333 basically is having only 33 items for the 3 months. But how is that possible? Think about it, it actually is. The only problem I see now would be getting rid of all the clothes!
For the "But I do love them all and I want to keep them all" people, I suggest you really ponder and think and mentally prepare yourselves. (It is a big deal for me.)
Trust me I really love my clothes. I am thinking about doing this project too but I really spent too much money and it breaks my heart!
Here's what to do with them clothes:


 STEP 1: CHOOSING and THROWING


I know, I feel the pain too, and I am still thinking of doing this to myself, just because my closet really is very full.
I am planning to sell most of my clothes, they are so new and I only wear them once or twice and for the favorites, thrice. Will post the link to my second hand store soon when I'm done :)
After you've done this step, you can go and think about the 33 items you want to buy or already have and want to keep.



STEP 2: CONCEPTUALISE YOUR CLOSET

Think of the style you want to go with and what describes you. I'm going with "Neutrals" + "Minimalist" so everything I buy from now would be that. But you can always treat yourself with a spash of color/pattern, just don't spend too much on it!
Find out what inspires you, what you want, and come up with a table/chart, however left or right brainer you are
Here's an example - credit (read it, very useful)

After you are done...

STEP 3: The Clean-out!


Go through the items you are keeping, if it doesn't fit, you know what to do!

STEP 4: SHOPPING! (if you really need something and don't have it)


Buy the things you need, not want. Don't cheat! I'm gonna go with my boyfriend. He knows it second best. You can refer to an example like this too. Uniform would be an everyday wear.


After writing this post and having arrived in Singapore from Bangkok yesterday, I find it really hard to only have 33 items in my closet.. So I would just clean out all that:

I don't love
Are not beautiful
Have sentimental value/or great monetary value
Not in line with my concept

"If it not useful or beautiful or has significant sentimental value, get rid of it. (I hold the same attitude for my closet)" - Alice Gao

At least you would still have a lot lesser items and your closet would be pretty neat


I know this is very brief, but I hope to be able to photo document the throwing out process with you so you get a gist of my clean out process. Same goes for my room, I will be throwing out a lot of items.
I did buy a lot of neutrals this trip to Bangkok and I want to share my buys with you in my upcoming Bangkok post.

Keep a lookout 
Good reads that will help with your clean out project if you want one
X

post signature
instagram // @lovelledebra

5 comments:

  1. Hi! :]

    Love love how you are creating a more intentional wardrobe! I read about Project 333 from other international bloggers, kudos to ya for going on with that project :] I love reading up about intentional wardrobes and one of my favourite resources for that would be http://into-mind.com (not sure if you have came across it, but one of your pictures/formula does look like something from her site). She has an amazing way of breaking down step by step how to achieve a wardrobe where it speaks to your life style and fashion style! Looking forward to your new posts as you clear out your wardrobe and room!

    PS Another two great sites for minimalism/intentional living be http://www.becomingminimalist.com and http://bemorewithless.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hope! Yes I think I got my images off there! Oh no I thought I linked it somewhere, I must have edited the post and forgot that part. I absolutely love that site its very helpful plus it has such a pretty layout. I just checked out the other links you sent and im so excited to read them after work, thank you!! :) Are you on this project too? I'm still having problems staying away from prints, they were my fav. Sigh.
      Thanks for th links :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Deb! :] Didn't realise that you replied till now when i checked back. Oops. Glad that you like the links! I am not on project 333, do love the idea behind it though. All of us could utilise our wardrobe so much more. Wow very impressed with how you tackled your wardrobe. You go girl! :]. It is so not easy to part with items that we spent money on. But after a while they just occupy so much dead space in our wardrobes and minds when they aint utilised.

      actually, why can't you have prints in your wardrobe? I love florals and my striped shirt is a must loved basic. Into mind shared that you need form (fashion style) and function in your wardrobe. If not it may be functionable but bores you. You can definitely create an intentional wardrobe with prints or loud colours too! :] An outfit always needs basics/neutrals and that accent piece (prints or colour or etc)

      Delete
    3. No problem! I'm fine with having occasional prints! I just got a few items from cameo so I told myself I'd only get those I really really like. I have stripes, that's a basic too. Yup I believe in the accented pieces its like splashing a little color in a white canvas. Haha my name is Lovelle btw :)

      Delete
    4. Laughs Hi Lovelle!

      Beautiful name. Thanks for the speedy replies! Looking forward to your new posts about your intentional wardrobe. Love seeing before, during and after processes :] Pictures be lovely!

      Delete